Monday, July 11, 2016

#Nostalgia. On the Road with the Chief Chuckaroo

The Original Chuckaroos (1976-77). I still have contact with the beret-wearing student in my dad's letter sweater, with the student in the hillbilly hat, with the skull-holding scout, and with the hobo just in front of me in my tails and derby hat. The "necklace" on the student behind me is a toilet seat painted gold--my hall pass at that time. What a wonderful time to be a teacher!

I started teaching AP Biology in the Fall of 1980, it soon became obvious from test answers that some students did not understand sometimes basic concepts, yet never asked any questions. At one of our Science Council meetings, a district-level committee of all department chairs who were responsible for all curricular matters in the discipline (by the way, I think that's the best way to do curriculum in any district), I mentioned that to one of the other teachers I knew worked with advanced students. He told me of a strategy where he offered to go to a student’s home for a review session if the requirement of a minimum number of students being present was met. That led to the evolution of “On the Road with Chief Chuckaroo.”
Aside: One of my first Human Anatomy and Physiology classes wanted to know if they could call me Chuck. I didn't even answer that question. They got the hint. They also decided that if I couldn't be Chuck, they would be the Chuckaroos. I became the Chief Chuckaroo by virtue of office.

OTRWCC, as it appeared on the class calendar had the following requirements, higher than my friend for his appearances.
  1. There had to be at least 10 students in the house when I arrived.
  2. The students had to arrive 30 minutes before I arrived and develop a list of questions for me to answer when I arrived.
  3. There had to be Diet Sprite and Peanut M&M’s present. I think 1 and 2 are self-explanatory requirements. Number #3 needs some background.
  • First, you can do a lot of biological demonstrations with M&M’s of any type: amino acids in proteins, genes on chromosomes, streptococcal bacteria for three.
  • Second, if you are going to use M&M’s, why not go for the really good ones, since you’re going to eat the demonstrations anyway. Diet Sprite is still one of my favorites—that’s really all there is to that requirement.
The first time I arrived at an OTRWCC, a woman met me at the door. I suspected she was the parent of the student “in charge” of the evening. She just stood there looking at me for a couple of seconds. I introduced myself. She continued standing and staring. I began to wonder if I was at the wrong house.
 As she stepped aside and motioned me in, she said,
“I never thought you would actually come.”
I was surprised but pleased that Monte Vista public relations got a positive boost

Two more OTRWCC stories:
  • The best food award goes to a parent who provided a full buffet meal for the kids and me. I kept hoping they would host another, to no avail.
  • The “Oh, Wow!” award goes to the students who somewhere secured a giant rattan “throne,” placed it in the corner, and spent time alternating fanning me with palm branches during the evening. I had not only a 2-liter Diet Sprite but also a whole bowl of peanut M&M’s for my personal consumption that evening.
The longest I ever answered questions at an OTRWCC was 45 minutes. By having students meet for a half-hour before my arrival, most of their questions were answered by other students. By the time I entered the room, there were very few questions left.

It didn't take long for the students to realize my deviousness. The still wanted OTRWCCs. I am grateful for that because I thoroughly enjoyed them.


SEO: nostalgia, Americana, memories, the 1980s, teachers, students

Follow me on 
Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor

My website is: www.crdowning.com

My Blogs
Life as I see itTopics rotate between those of general interest to lovers of life,  authors, teachers—probably you, too.  Posts on Tuesdays and some Mondays.  http://crdowning-author.blogspot.com/?alt=rss

My Christian Context. Posts M/W of discussion questions. Thursdays - Timeless Truths. Fridays - Expressions of Faith. https://mychristiancontext.blogspot.com/  

I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

No comments:

Post a Comment