Wednesday, April 1, 2020

#Immunity Basic information on types and how to get them

Because of the pervasive reminder of the current threat from the COVID-19 virus, I'm posting two blogs on the BASIC biology of immunity and viruses. The focus of this blog is IMMUNITY.

You can download the original Powerpoint I used in my Biology classes for MANY years. It has sound effects and animation of text/diagrams entry and exit. :-)






The technology of vaccines has improved over time.
In the past, many vaccines used "attenuated" pathogens. These were heated or treated with chemicals and damage the pathogen to the point it
  • would not replicate or
  • its reproduction was slowed enough for human immune systems to defeat them.

Sometimes the pathogen won and people vaccinated got the disease the vaccine was supposed to protect them from. 
  • That is extremely rare these days.

Now pathogens involved (bacterium or virus) is neutralized before the vaccine is made. 

Another blog post today explains what viruses are and how they infect organisms.




If you have comments or questions, please leave them on Blogger. I reply to all the comments received.

SEO: epidemic, immunity, virus

I invite you back to the blog on virus structure and function posted later on 4/1. 
No fooling!

Follow me on 
Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor

My website is: www.crdowning.com

My Blogs
Life as I see itTopics rotate between those of general interest to lovers of life,  authors, teachers—probably you, too.  Posts on Tuesdays and some Mondays.  http://crdowning-author.blogspot.com/?alt=rss

My Christian Context. Posts M/W of discussion questions. Thursdays - Timeless Truths. Fridays - Expressions of Faith. https://mychristiancontext.blogspot.com/  

I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!


No comments:

Post a Comment