Monday, January 20, 2020

#Lifestyle #Commentary Not so random thoughts on Following Directions

Bike Photo by  Andrew pvv on Unsplash & wagon Photo by Gary Sandoz on Unsplash

Owen Miller was a colleague of mine for nearly 20-years. He remained one of my best friends until his passing. I'm not sure when he used the following story for the first time. I suspect it was in the 1980s. I know we often discussed how frustrated we were when students missed our target in an assignment by proverbial miles.

The Blue Bike is presented with minor changes in technology used by the bike buyer. I used this in my last high school assignment between 2005-2012. I also used it in college classes I taught for Point Loma Nazarene University and Azusa Pacific University.

Immediately following the original is a bit of commentary on how this idea rings true outside the classroom, too.

The Blue Bike

Why do we have to follow all these rules?
How come I got such a low grade when I did a LOT of work on this?
Not long ago I decided to take up mountain biking. So, I went online and found a terrific bargain on a steel blue bike. Top of the line with shocks and all for a good price and free shipping. So I ordered one.
Two weeks later, a large package arrived. It was from the company I’d ordered the bike from!
I tore open the box. Inside were several parts, not many of which looked like part of a bike, let alone part of my steel-blue mountain bike.
Even though I didn’t really want to, I dug around and found the assembly instructions booklet. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the instructions were for assembling a shiny red wagon!
Now distraught, I dialed the phone number on the instructions. After several minutes on “hold,” I finally spoke to a customer service representative.
“I have a problem with my order,” I said.
“I see,” she answered. “And what would that be?”
“Well, I ordered a steel-blue mountain bike.”
“One of our best sellers,” she interrupted.
“That’s good to know. But I didn’t get the bike.”
“Oh,” she said. “There’s a problem with the delivery time?”
“No,” I corrected. “The delivery is here.”
“But, Sir,” she said, “you just told me you didn’t get the bike.”
“That’s right.”
“How can that be? You said the delivery was there.”
“But it wasn’t a bike that was delivered,” I managed to interject.
“What did you get?”
“I shiny red wagon.”
“And your problem is?”
“I ordered a steel-blue mountain bike and I got a shiny red wagon.”
“Don’t you like the wagon?”
“No. I mean, yes. No. Oh, I don’t know!” I stammered.
“Well, how can I help you if you don’t know your problem?”
“The problem is you sent the wrong product.”
“How many wheels does the wagon have?” she asked.
“Four.”
“And how many wheels did the mountain bike have?”
“Two. But—”
“Sir, it sounds to me like you got more than you paid for.”
“That’s not the point.”
“Sir, do you realize that the parts for the wagon are much more spread out in our warehouse? The men who packed your wagon had to do more work than if they had packed a bicycle. You should give them credit for the extra work on your behalf.”
“I’m sure they worked hard, but they didn’t do the work I ordered.”
“Was the box addressed properly?” she asked.
“Yes,” I answered.
“Were any of the wagon parts damaged in the shipment?”
“No, not that I know of.”
“Were all the required parts present?”
“I guess so. I didn’t take an inventory.”
“Excuse me, Sir, but it sounds like you haven’t done your job yet.”
“Can I talk to your manager please?”

Would you accept the wagon? 
Probably not, especially if you ordered a bike.
Would you be impressed with the work and the completeness of the shipment?
Probably not, since you ordered a bike.
Teachers are funny like that. When we give an assignment, we expect to get that assignment turned in. 

MoralNo matter how much work you do on an assignment, if it’s not the assignment that was given, you shouldn’t expect a good grade.

COMMENTARY
As time passed, I've noticed that more and more aspects of society adopted the attitude of the customer service representative in the story. 

  • I don't care what you wanted.
  • I worked hard.
  • You should be happy that I did any work.
  • I should be rewarded for doing work, even if it wasn't the work that needed to be done.

That's worse than unfortunate. That attitude breeds a culture of disorder without accountability. 

I'll stop here. 

I hope I gave you something to think about.

SEO: school, nostalgia, Americana, memories, family

Follow me on 
Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor

My website is: www.crdowning.com

My Blogs
Life as I see itTopics rotate between those of general interest to lovers of life,  authors, teachers—probably you, too.  Posts on Tuesdays and some Mondays.  http://crdowning-author.blogspot.com/?alt=rss

My Christian Context. Posts M/W of discussion questions. Thursdays - Timeless Truths. Fridays - Expressions of Faith. https://mychristiancontext.blogspot.com/  

I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

3 comments:

  1. Yes! Yes! Yes!! As a Supervisor I'm seeing this more and more. Rogue employees that only do what they FEEL like doing, not what needs to be done. We'll all be on the 3rd floor preparing rooms for Sunday when I get a call over the radio saying they're "on the 1st floor and need help with..." "What?? No! We're all to be on the first floor right now." And then they feel unappreciated. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. *"We're all to be on the 3rd floor...")

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an expanding phenomenon. I am concerned about how quality will be retained over time.

    ReplyDelete