Monday, September 16, 2019

#Nostalgia #HighSchool Dress Up and Other Fun Days

This is the best dress up day photo I have. It's from the late 1970s. Thanks to Facebook and class reunions, I've managed to reconnect with the girl holding the paper bag in the front row (she's now an MD) and several others. The "girl scout" holding the skull is a family friend.



Back in the “old days, before standards and benchmarks and Professional Learning Communities, I began teaching. I am sure that some teachers did little or no planning or revision of their courses year after year (I suspect some of you remember teachers with yellow legal-sized lined pads with their curriculum hand-written on it that they used daily in class.) However, I can honestly say I never taught a class the same way two years in succession.
In the early years, the goal was to make the class “better,” but for whom or why what we planned was “better” was not a major issue. Owen Miller and I spent the last week of each school year going of that year’s calendar, adjusting lengths of units, ordering films, and talking about new ideas. Eventually, we got to the point where we began writing ideas on the calendars as we went through the year. This brainiac idea made our planning a lot more productive since we didn’t have to keep asking each other, “Do you remember what we said we were going to do here?”
For most of my time at Monte Vista, Biology was the class I taught. I first it was Applied Arts Biology, designed for students who were not college-bound. Then, when John Burak died, I began teaching mostly College Preparatory Biology, a more rigorous alternative for those of academic inclination—or with parents who leaned that way. 

ASIDE. Mr. Burak was my high school Biology teacher. I student taught for him as part of my credentialing program. I was hired at the high school I graduated from without interviewing at the school or school district. I suspect that was in LARGE PART, thanks to John. His death was too early.
This is what I got letting me know I needed to sign a contract. It's the third sheet in a three-sheet carbon paper form, so it's hard to read. Here's what Mr. Brady, the principal wrote. The three names on the route slip were the biology teachers at that time. The third name is hard to read. "Stan Davies" is the man who told the principal he would teach any subject if that's what it took to hire me. I'm endebted to Stan for his kindness and humble by his belief in me."Please proceed with necessary paperwork to recommend employment of Charles Downing for 1973-74 on a four-fifths contract to teach four sections of biology. At the present time, I do not have enrollment or personnel units for a fifth assignment in his field but he is too good to let get away and he is willing to accept a 4/5 contract for now."That would not happen in today's educational environment.
I'm sure I have this thanks to my mom's compulsion to save important stuff in our lives. Thanks, MOM!
Before major breaks, our classes enjoyed “Food Labs.” In these blatant attempts to circumvent “no food in the room” policies, I would put these kinds of suggestions for lab materials on the board: CO(OK)IES. These usually ended up with sugar overload for kids since they had them in almost every class those days.

Dress UP

My mom and dad had a closet full of old clothing in their outbuilding. The family used it for Halloween costumes. For a couple of years, the box was a resident of one of the small prep rooms at the back of 1007. Once or twice a year, the Anatomy and Physiology students would have dress-up days. No rationale, Just a time to bond a little.
I participated in the dress-up days. Here I am as a snake oil salesman. NOTE the 1970s sideburns! It's from the same day the opening photo was taken. I'm in the second row on the far right.
My AP Biology classes were usually too large to do the dress-up, but we would have 2-3 “Caloric Replenishments” each semester rewarding the hard work they were doing. These were never without a theme and were quite popular. However, AP Biology's BIG event was the Bio II, All-Kazoo Marching Christmas Choir. That's a blog for the middle of December!

Coincidental Meeting at the Murph

Another AP Biology event was the “Coincidental Meeting at the Murph.” Prior to selling the naming rights to San Diego Stadium to Qualcomm, the place was known as Jack Murphy Field. The San Diego Padres played in that stadium and four or five times a year offered 2-for-1 deals on pretty good seats. I would collect money in advance and buy the tickets. The kids planned what they wanted to eat. I told them, “I will be at Jack Murphy Stadium in parking lot section 3B on Monday at 5:30 PM. I will have enough Padre tickets for ___ students. If you happen to show up at the same place at the same time, I think that would be quite a coincidence.”
They would nod sagely, and someone would explain to the clueless what I was doing. “Coincidental Meetings at the Murph” were, for all intents and purposes, a completely unauthorized field trip. If I was still teaching, there is no way I would try that today, and do not take this as authorization to do them—or even a suggestion to think about. The 21st-century world we live in is a totally different time with a totally different set of teacher boundaries.
APBio Students enjoying the food at a "Coincidental Meeting at the Murph" in 1982.
While the main reason for these trips to the ball game was to have a good time with one another, I will not forget one time when a very special thing happened. At one game, a young lady sat by me. She was uncharacteristically quiet for her. After the first inning, I asked her if something was wrong. She looked at me with shining eyes.

“Everything is so colorful,” she gushed. “It doesn’t look anything like it does on television. This is sooo pretty.” I had not given any thought to the idea that any of these events would have been the first time a student had been to a baseball game. And I never would have thought that the beauty of the field would have made such a dramatic impact on a student.

Next: Voices and Stories - Any day in one of my classrooms 

SEO: nostalgia, Americana, memories, family, teaching, teachers

Follow me on 
Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor 

My website is: www.crdowning.com

My Blogs
·       Life as I see itTopics rotate between those of general interest to lovers of life,  authors, teachers—probably you, too.

I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

No comments:

Post a Comment