Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Special Edition. Birthday Post. February 20, 2018.

I suspect that these were taken in 1952. I know it's in Waukegan, Illinois. The top left and bottom right photos are taken on opposite sides of the heater grate. I know the house was small, but, really? It's obvious that this is pre-Photoshop. I suspect that this is an example of what a photographer could do with his/her fingers on negatives. I'd bet money that the blurred edges are the result of that process.

I was born on February 20, 1950. That's 68 years ago, exactly half-way through another century. 


Not a selfie, but looks suspiciously like a selfie of today. With my dad. Probably April of 1950.

According to my mom, I was about one month early. I weighed 5lbs, 6oz. That was the only time I was considered small in my life.
Evidence in support of the final sentence in the above paragraph.

I grew up in a neighborhood where every parent was everybody's parent. In other words, if you did something you won't supposed to do, by your parents' definition or the definition of the parent at whose house you were playing, you were disciplined. 
NEIGHBORHOOD BOYS. Me, Ben, Doug, Steve, Tim. Steve, Ben, and I are the same age. We're carefully guarding the frog we caught that ran through "The Vacant Lot" between my house and Ben's. 

I never heard, "Just wait until your father gets home." Somehow, however, Dad learned about any and all infractions. I suspect he knew about the time that I was riding the gravity-powered go-cart that he and I made . . . at night . . . in the street . . . when my friends and I were supposed to be sleeping in a tent in our backyard.

Coming around the only curve, my foot slipped off the wooden foot support. I was wearing flip- flops--BIG mistake--and scraped all the skin off the tip of my big toe. We left for Indiana, driving, the next day. I kept my toe in my shoe as much as possible on that ride, although it hurt like crazy. 
I can't find the only photo I know I have that shows the car, but it looked a bit like this. The back wheels were bicycle wheels. It had a 7 painted on the back of the seat. This is the diagram of the race care Henry Langdon and Aaron Fremont build in the story Sir Isaac's Car in my book of the same name.
When I clipped the tip of the same toe on a cinder in my grandparents' yard while in Indiana, I finally showed the damage to my dad. He didn't say anything. He SCRUBBED the wound for a long time, "to make sure all the dirt's out of it."


I copied what follows from a Facebook post. I've edited it some. That last sentence should not surprise any of you who worked with me on any project at any time . . . ever


Today’s my birthday. I am 68 years old. I’ve accumulated more than a boatload of knowledge: elementary school, Jr/Sr high, B.S. in Life Science. MA/Ph.D. in education.
In spite of that and all the books I’ve read and written, I have a plethora of unanswered questions! Well, at least twenty-four.



  1. Who did let the dogs out and whose dogs were they?
  2.  Where is/was the beef?
  3. Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?
  4. In this age of technology, why doesn't Dora just use Google Maps?
  5. Why do all flavors of fruit loops taste exactly the same? 
  6. Just how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? 
  7. Is Waldo in witness protection?
  8. Why are eggs and light bulbs packaged in flimsy containers, but batteries are secured in plastic that's tough as nails?
  9. Why are toilet paper dispensers in public restrooms at the same distance above the floor as your knee?
  10. Ever buy scissors? You need scissors to cut into the packaging of scissors! 
  11. Why is there Braille on the instruction plaque at a drive up ATM?
  12. Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?
  13. "Just Do" what, Nike
  14. Why is there a "d" in "fridge" but not in "refrigerator?"
  15. Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor yet dish-washing liquid is made with real lemons?
  16. Who did write the "Book of Love?"
  17. Why do they sterilize the needle for lethal injections? 
  18. Why do you have to "put your two cents in," but it's only a "penny for your thoughts?" Where's that extra penny go? 
  19. Why do the Alphabet Song and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star have the same tune, and why did you just try to sing those two songs? 
  20. How much of something besides weight is a "ton?" E.g., ton of space, ton of color.
  21. Just what is Victoria's secret? 
  22. What would you do for a Klondike bar when you know as soon as you bite into it it's gonna fall apart? 
  23. Does she or doesn't she what? 
  24. Why do you care if I got milk? or vice versa!

I actually got this from a friend, who stole it from her brother's girlfriend's uncle's cousin's friend's momma's doctor who lived next door to an old classmate's letter carrier!


Now it is your turn to take it from me. Copy and Paste, change the age if you have to, then post or email it. 

Even if you don't "take your turn," enjoy your birthday!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor
My website is: www.crdowning.com


I'd appreciate your feedback as a comment on Blogger!


No comments:

Post a Comment