Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Copy Edits and other types, too

Copy Edits and other types, too

The four main types are developmental editing, line editing, copy-editing, and proofreading. So what the heck is the difference?

The above statement and question open the discussion of today’s topic at https://wordcafeblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/editing-workshop-2-what-are-the-different-types-of-editing/. The quote below, also from this source, provides the definitions I’m using for the rest of the post.

  1. Developmental (also called substantive) editing is about the big picture. This is where you’ll want to start if you’re new to editing or in the early stages of cleaning up your finished novel; that way you won’t waste time fine-tuning sections that may not make it into the final draft.
  2. Line editing focuses on the sentence or paragraph level, rather than the broad story-scope of your novel. It’s about refining sentence structure and flow to make your writing both more readable and more pleasurable to read.
  3. Copy editing is about grammar, punctuation, and proper word usage. It’s the kind of editing you’d pull out your Chicago Manual of Style to do.
  4. Proofreading is the final step in the editing process and results in the final don’t-touch-it-again draft.


As a relatively new author-for-pay, I had no concept of what the whole process of manuscript production included. I hand-typed my master’s thesis and word-processed/edited my doctoral dissertation without outside editing. Both of those documents were considered for inclusion as exemplary documents in the year each was submitted.

I’ve also had several educational products published by supply houses. In addition, I am the co-author of a detailed AP-Biology lab manual, 
AP* Biology: Inquiry-Based Lab Investigations and Activities with Critical Thinking and Writing Skills. ISBN-10: 1413873545

Published by People’s Education in 2011, it is now out of print. I assume it's out of print since I can no longer find new copies through web searching. I did find one used copy for sale on Amazon . . . That explains the dearth of royalties.

I digress.

When I started writing fiction, my first book was accepted for publication quickly. I assumed that meant I waz a gud riter.

What I have discovered is this:
It takes more than being able to write a story to be a good writer.

Last blog post described some of my process in getting to where I am now with The 5th Page. To summarize
  • Sherry Frazier and I did the Developmental edit. That was time-consuming. It took me more time than it should have to grasp the purpose of the edit. The result of this edit was a much better story.
  • Line edits were next. I did these myself. Then I sent the manuscript out to Pre-readers.
  • I waited a several weeks after sending the book to the Pre-readers before I did what amounted to Copy edit on the book. I finished this edit in early April of 2015. It was the cleanest fiction manuscript I ever wrote.
  • Sherry convinced me of the need for a Proofreader edit. I talked about it in the last blog post. I paid a proofreader for her services. Suffice it to say that there was a LOT of cleaning up of the manuscript still required. I’m currently about half-way through making the corrections and changes identified by the Proofreader edit. Once I’m done inputting those changes, I’ll be ready to send the manuscript to Kirkus for a review.
The quote below is an accurate description of me before this experience.

For many writers, line editing, copy editing, and proofreading fall under a single umbrella called “being anal.” : )
The rest of the above quote is, If this is your stance, you might want to consider hiring a professional.

I now see the benefit in hiring at least one editor during the writing process. In fact, I recommend it. A professional will look at your book dispassionately. In nearly all cases, that is something only a person emotionally detached from the book can do. You and your book are most probably included in that generalization.

During the input of the proofreader’s corrections, I’m making adjustments to one sub-plot in the plot line. The adjustments make that aspect of the story more true to life. It is, therefore, a better story.

Ultimate lessons learned:
  1. I’m not nearly as technically competent when it comes to writing as I thought I was.
  2. I’ll almost always need the help of professional eyes to make my stories the best they can be.
  3. The first two learned lessons will slow down my writing process.
  4. The result of the new process will be more well-written books.


Next blog: Musing about the writing process.


Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor

No comments:

Post a Comment