Monday, November 23, 2015

A Science Guy’s Almanac #12: Dress Up and Other Fun Days – Re: 11/20/1977

A Science Guy’s Almanac #12: Dress Up and Other Fun Days – Re: 11/20/1977

Dress Up and Other Fun Days

Back in the “old days, before standards and benchmarks and Professional Learning Communities, I began teaching. I am sure that some teachers did little or no planning or revision of their courses year after year (I suspect some of you remember teachers with yellow legal-sized lined pads with their curriculum hand-written on it that they used daily in class.) However, I can honestly say I never taught a class the same way two years in succession.
In the early years, the goal was to make the class “better,” but for whom or why what we planned was “better” was not a major issue. Owen Miller and I spent the last week of each school year going of that year’s calendar, adjusting lengths of units, ordering films, and talking about new ideas. Eventually, we got to the point where we began writing ideas on the calendars as we went through the year. This brainiac idea made our planning a lot more productive since we didn’t have to keep asking each other, “Do you remember what we said we were going to do here?”
For most of my time at Monte Vista, Biology was the class I taught. I first it was Applied Arts Biology, designed for students who were not college-bound. Then, when John Burak died, I began teaching mostly College Preparatory Biology, a more rigorous alternative for those of academic inclination—or with parents who were that way.
Before major breaks, our classes enjoyed “Food Labs.” In these blatant attempts to circumvent “no food in the room” policies, I would put these kinds of suggestions for lab materials on the board: CO(OK)IES. These usually ended up with sugar overload for kids since they had them in almost every class those days.
My mom and dad had a closet full of old clothing in their outbuilding. The family used it for Halloween costumes. For a couple of years, the box was a resident of one of the small prep rooms at the back of 1007. Once or twice a year, the Anatomy and Physiology students would have dress-up days. No rationale, Just a time to bond a little.

My AP Biology classes were usually too large to do the dress-up, but we would have 2-3 “Caloric Replenishments” each semester rewarding the hard work they were doing. These were never without a theme, and were quite popular.
Another AP Biology event was the “Coincidental Meeting at the Murph.” Prior to selling the naming rights to San Diego Stadium to Qualcomm, the place was known as Jack Murphy Field. The San Diego Padres played in that stadium and four or five times a year offered 2-for-1 deals on pretty good seats. I would collect money in advance and buy the tickets. The kids planned what they wanted to eat. I told them, “I will be at Jack Murphy Stadium in parking lot section 3B on Monday at 5:30 PM. I will have enough Padre tickets for ___ students. If you happen to show up at the same place at the same time, I think that would be quite a coincidence.”
They would nod sagely, and someone would explain to the clueless what I was doing. “Coincidental Meetings at the Murph” were, for all intents and purposes, a completely unauthorized field trip. If I was still teaching, there is no way I would try that today, and do not take this as authorization to do them—or even a suggestion to think about. The 21st-century world we live in is a totally different time with a totally different set of teacher boundaries.
APBio Students enjoying the food at a "Coincidental Meeting at the Murph" in 1982.
While the main reason for these trips to the ball game was to have a good time with one another, I will not forget one time when a very special thing happened. At one game, a young lady sat by me. She was uncharacteristically quiet for her. After the first inning, I asked her if something was wrong. She looked at me with shining eyes.

“Everything is so colorful,” she gushed. “It doesn’t look anything like it does on television. This is sooo pretty.” I had not given any thought to the idea that any of these events would have been the first time a student had been to a baseball game. And I never would have thought that the beauty of the field would have made such a dramatic impact on a student.


Next blog: Calling all independent and self-published writers!
Next Almanac: A Science Guy’s Almanac #13: Voices and Stories Re: Any day in one of my classrooms 1973-2015

Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor

My website is: www.crdowning.com

5 comments:

  1. Hey Chief!

    Memories of your AP Bio 2 class are some of the fondest I have from high school... from the spirit of your teaching to the "Evenings with Chief Chuckaroo" before tests, and the food parties after them, you rocked. I still tell my kids the story of pranking Angie Burdine by eating the fake mold in her ravoli crock pot weeks after she left it in your classroom (who knew colored cotton candy and cinnamon could be put to such good use?). Good times.

    I also still have a photo of our AP 2 All-Kazoo Christmas Marching Band, and if I can get my scanner to work, I'll send it to you.

    Did your family ever make it onto Family Feud, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Adam!

      Thanks for the contact! I, have MOST of my fondest memories from teaching at MV from Bio 2. I remember the cotton candy, but I'd forgotten the cinnamon. That was a great prank. And, I really enjoyed the On The Road With The Chief Chuckaroo times.

      I hope you get your scanner fixed. I'd love to see the photo. Kazoo band memories are coming next month. Stay tuned.

      We never made Family Feud. My brother in law won a car on Wheel of Fortune, but I'll I got out of that was a ride. ;-)

      Again, many thanks for the comment!

      Chief

      Delete
  2. Mr. Downing,
    WOW! I was just going through some old MVHS papers and found my BIO 1 and 2 workbook, and then I see our class dress up day photo. I had always been interested in Science but your classes made Science amazing and fun. I think I have a couple more pictures from our class I'll have to dig up. THanks for being an inspring teacher and keeping the ball rolling today. - - Joe Martel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Workbooks. Oh, my! Can you shoot a photo of part of one of those and send it to me? Thanks for your kind comments as well, Joe.

      Delete