Tuesday, March 15, 2016

What’s in a Name? How do you title your book? Part 2

What’s in a Name? How do you title your book? Part 2
March 15, 2016

I found out two big things from my first Amazon search for RIFTS. I there are a LOT of books that have rift in the title, the series title, or the book content, including the Rift Valley. I stopped scrolling through the lists after I’d seen over 150 books in the search results—none of which were my book.

Today, February 15, 2016, I did another search in books for RIFTS. Similar results. This time, I scrolled through 260 books without coming to mine.

So, what’s my point?

Your book’s title is probably more important than even you thought it was. I say that not only because of what you’ve already read. Remember Insecticide? I did a search for that term. NO books showed up. Only ONE item showed up—spray cans of… insect killer. That means a lot more viewed hits by searches for the book than are currently occurring.

I’ve investigated changing the title of my book from RIFTS to Insecticide. Since RIFTS is already a designated ISBN, I’d have to get a new ISBN for the “new book.”

I’ve even played around with a new cover. I've checked with the cover artist. She's okay either way.

At this moment in time, I’m still undecided about whether I should change the title and the few interior items that also would require replacement. You see, I’m still not convinced that RIFTS isn’t the best title…

Speaking of best titles, my most recent book release is a series of 9 humorous short stories about the (mis)adventures of two middle school-aged boys. Title: Best Friends9 Tales of Daring and Disaster, it is Volume 1 of what will be The Adventures of Henry Langdon series.

I considered other titles. In fact, my physical proof copy from CreateSpace has Sir Isaac’s Car as the main title in the front matter. I did a search of Best Friends as I had for RIFTS. There are hundreds of books with Best Friends in similar roles as with Rifts. Some contain content I neither read nor approve of.

So, why keep that title?

Because my book is a book for readers as young as 4th or 5th-grade. Middle-Grade readers, as well as Young Adult and Adult readers, will resonate with the theme.

Time will tell if the decision was a wise one

Next blog: Reviews, Reviewers, and Reviewing

Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor

My website is: www.crdowning.com


e-mail: crd.author@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment