Monday, January 9, 2017

Coaching Futbol – Part 2: I thought it was a good idea at the time


While I coached both my sons in youth soccer, I didn’t coach high school soccer again until the 1980-81 season. I coached varsity soccer until the end of the 1982-83 season. There is some question to this day about how much coaching I accomplished in that three-year period.


The varsity soccer coaching assignment was a revolving door between my two tenures. When I saw that the job was open again at the beginning of the 1980-81 school year, I went to my principal.
“I’ll coach the soccer team for five years,” I said. “If nothing else, that will provide some stability for what’s become an orphan program.”
He agreed.
I found an assistant and began preparing for the season.

By the time tryouts were held, I’d organized a cadre of my AP Biology students as ball chasers. There were only enough certified soccer officials in our area at the time for one official per game. I had budget money for two officials, so I paid my ball chasers out of that fund.
The job of a chaser was to run along the sidelines, keeping even with the ball. Each ball chaser carried an approved extra ball with them. When I ball was kicked out of play, the ball chaser on that side of the field dropped her/his ball by the sideline and chased the errant kick.
You can see two ball chasers in the background. The one showing only half her body is carrying the ball.

It sped up the game.
It also ticked off some officials, more opposing players, and even more opposing coaches.
Since soccer has a running play clock, many teams use the time spent by the opposition chasing down an out of bound kick to regroup—especially if it was one of their defenders that kicked that ball out of bounds.
Officials refused to let my ball chasers do their jobs at two of our games. The other times, complaints were the order of the day.

The team had 14 underclassmen. The lack of experience showed. The 1980-81 varsity soccer team ended the season with a 1-16-1 record. The win and the tie were both against the only team in our league weaker than Monte Vista that year.
In a not so subtle jab at our lack of success, the school yearbook chose this photo of my to include among the team pictures. 
 There were good things that came from the experience.
     ·      My freshman goalie ended up as an All-League selection in his senior year.
     ·      Several of the players have contacted me and hold no grudge.
     ·      There were no serious injuries. Except to me. More on that during my next Almanac post.
    ·      We won more than one game in each of the next two seasons.

I bowed out of that coaching assignment after the 3rd year. It was obvious the program needed more expertise than I would ever have.


Next Almanac: How to break your ankle without really trying

Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor
My website is: www.crdowning.com

I'd appreciate your feedback!



Email me at: chuckdowningauthor@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment